Knox County
Sheriff's Office

Knox County
Sheriff's Office


The Family Crimes Unit dedicates themselves to aiding those involved in crimes committed by family members or those close to the victims.

Family Crimes Unit

Helping those who can't help themselves.

The Knox County Sheriff’s Office’s Family Crimes Unit was established in 1995 and is responsible for investigating incidents of domestic violence, child abuse, and elder abuse.  In addition to investigating these incidents, the unit also provides immediate safety crisis counseling information and support to victims of these crimes. The Family Crimes Unit investigates more than 5,000 cases annually.

The Family Crimes Unit is located at the Family Justice Center, 400 Harriet Tubman St., Knoxville, Tennessee 37915. The Family Justice Center is the hub of more than 60 partnering agencies working together to provide assistance and education pertaining to domestic violence, child abuse, and elder abuse.  These agencies include, but are not limited to: The District Attorney General’s Office, Knoxville Police Department, Adult Protective Services, Department of Children Services, Knox County Schools, Legal Aid, YWCA, and Helen Ross McNabb, etc. The Knoxville Family Justice Center is one of the first centers established in the nation and has become a model for other agencies in the development of their own Family Justice Center.

Additionally, the cycle of domestic violence does not usually end, but escalates in both severity and frequency the longer a victim waits before taking action. There is information and assistance available to help break the cycle of violence. If you need assistance contact the Knox County Sheriff’s Office Family Crimes Unit Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. at (865) 215-6820. After 4:00 p.m., you may call (865) 215-2243. In the event of an emergency, please dial 911.

Cases Involving F.C.U. in 2019


Domestic Violence


Child Abuse


Elder Abuse


Orders of Protection Filed by our Victim Advocates

  • Local Domestic Violence Hotline: (865) 521-6336
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233
  1. You may file a criminal complaint with the District Attorney General’s Office (DA)
  2. You may request a protective order which may include the following:
    1. An Order preventing the abuser from committing another domestic incident.
    2. An Order requiring the abuser to leave your household.
    3. An Order preventing the abuser from harassing you or contacting you for any reason.
    4. An Order giving you or the other parent custody or visitation with your minor child or children.
    5. An Order requiring the abuser to pay money to support you and the minor child if the abuser has a legal obligation to do so.
    6. An Order preventing the abuser from stalking you.

Contact Our Family Crimes Unit

**If this is an emergency or if you are in need of police response, please call 911**

Front entrance of Family Justice Center
Sheriff Tom Spangler

Knox County Sheriff's Office

Knoxville, TN

Tom Spangler, Sheriff